Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Diabetic Forums

I am going to stop being the nice and helpful mature 50+ year juvenile onset diabetic that I try being to children with diabetes or parents of children with diabetes on the forums. I've just had it with how mommy and daddy dearest treat me and it isn't with respect.

Any time I have tried to help parents, they don't accept my help. It's like they actually believe they know more about life as a diabetic or living as a diabetic, instead of just being the care giver of a child with this disease.

I am so sick of nobody listening to someone who has knowledge, life experience, and the willingness to help. It just pissed me off.

So to save myself the heartache and disappointment I've been having to endure, I'm deleting the link to at most of the diabetic forums I'm a member of. I've discovered several of them have no way of deleting your account. But if you don't post in X amount of time, they don't know who the hell you are.

Another problem is when parents decided to contribute on the forums to thing they have no idea what they are talking about. If they are not a diabetic they have no right to make comments when an adult is asking a question. Infants, toddlers, preteens, and teens all act and react differently than adult diabetics, even newly diagnosed.

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I think it must be hard for parents, not having an understanding of exactly what having diabetes feels like. And maybe some truths are too hard for them to think about.

But I too have had parents of d-kids say some really stupid things - one even said they had it harder as a carer than their child who actually had the diabetes!

LRM said...

Ashleigh, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I got sick then I forgot that you had replied. I wanted to reply after I read your response, but got busy, then got sick, then busy again. Last night I told myself I had to respond.

I had parents who didn't care about me. They gave me total control of my diabetes at the age of 9 after two one week stays at a diabetic camp. After that, I was told it was up to me to care for my diabetes. Of course when we were at family functions,they'd act like they were the ones in control.

So when I see how controlling a lot of the diabetic parents are on the different forum, it drives me bonkers. Then when they ask questions, and I give advice, well earned advice and they basically tell me I'm an idiot. I don't think they really want advice from someone who knows what it's like to live with this disease. All they want is someone like them to agree with them, to back them up with their decisions. That is why I decided to stop going to those forums. I wanted to help. But no longer.

Blog Archive