Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

Diabetic Forums with links to blogs/articles

I don't understand why some of the diabetic forums seem to enjoy linking to diabetic articles or blogs that tend to be full of downers. I mean I read two of them yesterday, that were just downers. The think that totally shocked me was I am the only person who thought that. The people got positive comments on what they wrote. I don't understand that.

This one tells you that most juvenile onset diabetics get depressed simply due to being a diabetic. I've heard that so often I want to scream. Why be depressed simply because you're a diabetic? I don't understand that. Diabetes is one of the easiest diseases/chronic illnesses to live with. You eat correctly and test your blood sugar and take your insulin. Watch where you walk, if you get a sore, make sure to treat it so it doesn't get infected. But then everyone should be doing everything we're doing.

Then this person goes on and on about how hard it is being a diabetic. Well life is hard. Being a diabetic isn't any more difficult than someone with stage four kidney disease, or cancer. At least we don't have to worry about losing our hair due to chemotherapy.

Then when people say that juvenile onset diabetes is a disability, I want to shriek a loud NO you morons. It is not a disability. It's a disease or an illness not a disability. There is no way in hell I want to be labeled as someone with a disability. Nope, no way no how. It's not going to happen. I've told people I'm a juvenile onset diabetic, but I've never said I have a disability. Not once. NEVER.

I've always told people about my diabetes. It isn't an embarrassment to me. Now maybe it's because I've been one since I was five and I don't know anything different. When I told one college friend about my diabetes, I learned that his sister was also a diabetic. I started writing her because of our diabetic link.

I didn't have people tell me about their family members losing legs or arms due to gangrene. I didn't have any family members who were also a juvenile onset diabetic. I am the only one is over 6 generations. Only me. No one else. Just me. And there was only one type two running around the family. Since these diseases are different, and she was in her 60's and I was a kid, we didn't talk. Nobody in my family nor did any of my friends try to tell me what to eat or what not to eat. Tried to tell me that I was going to die early, that I couldn't have children. None of that.

My being a diabetic really wasn't an issue. It was just a part of me. Why can't other juvenile onset diabetics feel that way too? I don't understand.

No comments:

Blog Archive