Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Wednesday-The Blame Game

Having diabetes often makes a visit to the doctor a dreaded experience, as there is invariably bad news of one kind or another. And sometimes the way the doctor talks to you can leave you feeling like you’re at fault. Or maybe you have a fantastic health-care team, but have experienced blame and judgment from someone else in your life – friend, loved one, complete stranger. Think about a particularly bad instance, how that person talked to you, the words they used and the conversation you had. Now, the game part. Let’s turn this around. If you could turn that person into a puppet, what would you have them say that would leave you feeling empowered and good about yourself? Let’s help teach people how to support us, rather than blame us!

Right now I have a wonderful endo. I like her so much that I wish she could be my primary doctor. She listens to me. We have disagreements, but we always talk things over. She doesn't tell me what to do, we discuss things. So I never dread going to see her.

As a matter-of-fact, I just saw her last week. And I had decided to try R in my pump. See I really loved when I was on N and R. I know most people hated those insulins and didn't do very well on them. I never had any problems with them. My A1C's ran from 5.4-7.0 the entire time I was on them.

When I got my endo, after my cancer surgery, she switched me to lantus and humalog because she hated the old insulin and she wanted me on the pump. After almost 3 years of being on lantus and humalog, I still don't like them, so I decided to try R in the pump.

I had it in the pump for two site changes. I discovered that it would have taken me a lot longer than I would have liked to figure out the basal, bolus and the insulin to carbohydrate ratio. So I decided to stick with humalog.

She wasn't upset with me. She said she was surprised it took me this long to try it!

About the only people I've ever had problems with were a couple from an old church. He was a newly diagnosed type 2 and she his wife. She monitored everything he ate. Whenever we'd have a church dinner she'd come to me and see what was on my plate and tell me I couldn't eat that because of my having diabetes like her husband.

Most of the time, I'd ignored her. But one time, after a real bad day, I told her that I'd been a diabetic a lot longer than her husband. And, I was a juvenile onset or type 1 where her husband was a type 2. Those diseases were different. And, while he was on some type of diabetic pill, I was on insulin. I had no complications. Since I had been living with this disease for a lot longer, I knew what I was doing and she should mind her own business.

No comments:

Blog Archive